Making healthy swaps is all the rage these days. But rightfully so! We are constantly learning about how chemicals in our food and products may negatively impact our health. There are some amazing companies that make incredible products that will make you 100% not miss your former toxic version—whether that is your make up, sunscreens, household cleaners, etc.
A little back ground. I’m a family chiropractor who focuses on wellness. I’m also a firm believer that God created us with the innate ability to self-heal and self-regulate. Example: a cut heals on its own. You don’t have to tell it to. The problem occurs when something interferes with this beautiful, innate process. Specifically to my line of work, that may be a misalignment in the spine creating nervous system interference, resulting in pain, discomfort and/or some sort of a lack of ease within the body (aka a symptom).
- If you don’t drink enough water after a while your body will become chronically dehydrated and your brain, organs and muscles get the brunt.
- A unhealthy diet, a diet with a high amount of processed foods, pesticides- this too, creates interference in our system, our whole body.
- There’s a laundry list of topics that can interfere with our health: lack of exercise or movement of the body, poor mental health, side effects from medications, environment, posture, stress, etc. etc., the list goes on. Any of these things not in proper balance can lower our optimal heath potential. Especially if there’s multiple areas out of balance over the course of time.
Because of bioindividuality, different people may experience different symptoms from different types of interference over different amounts of time. Getting healthy isn’t always the easiest thing to do, but consistency like anything else, is key!
Living a life where we continually strive to be our best self and feel our best means educating ourselves on the potential culprits that inevitably bring us down—physically, mentally or emotionally. Little steps eventually become big steps. Slowly making changes is great!
My advice is to educate yourself on the current products you have to truly understand if they are good or bad for you—the labels, ingredient list… look up those ingredients to read what exactly they are. Think Dirty is an awesome app to download. If some of your products have sketchy ingredients, put that on your list to find a swap for and also be on the look out for the ingredients you’ve started to learn about and simply don’t purchase those products or find a product that doesn’t have as many potentially harmful ingredients. It can be overwhelming but will help to lower the amount of chemicals you are exposed to. There are so many wonderful resources these days from people that are passionate on this topic and have done the work for you, vetted companies and found the best of the best products that truly work as good, if not better, than their toxic counterpart.
Here are the links to a few of my very favorite bloggers who focus on living a healthier lifestyle: Madaleigh, The Defined Dish, Dr. Courtney Kahla, & Shutthekaleup. Each have their own special and unique vibe!
If you’re looking for everything mama, fashion, fitness, household & products, my good friend Madaleigh is everything that and much more! Dr. Courtney Kahla is a friend and colleague who spends a lot of time researching the science behind all the topics she dives into. She’s passionate about educating, which is so important these days to be informed before deciding what’s best for you and your family. Thedefineddish has the best recipes in the whole wide world and they are easy to follow and not once has one ever failed me!
Shutthekaleup is another favorite that I probably started following from one of the three people I just mentioned. She reminds me of Madaleigh, she’s a mommy and shares great stuff on that and healthier living. They all also have some of their own codes for you to save money on products! Dive into their pages and you’ll reep those benefits along with learning a lot of great stuff about many great topics that you can start using to create more positive habits in your day to day life.
Below are some of the healthier swaps my family has made. These are definitely not your only options! Just like anything else, sometimes you have to try a few different things to find a gem and we all have different preferences. Here are some of our favorites!
- Branch Basics: their concentrate will make all your basic products- Bathroom Cleaner, All Purpose Cleaner, Laundry Detergent, Foaming Hand Wash and Glass Cleaner. Their oxygen boost is amazing! I have yet to meet a baby blow out that this stuff hasn’t completely gotten out! http://branchbasics.refr.cc/nicolejackson
- doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate
- Molly’s Suds Laundry Detergent
- doTERRA On Guard Foaming Handwash
- Innersense Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner & Innersense Pure Harmony Hairbath
- Evolv Ultra Shine Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner
- rahua Voluminous Dry Shampoo (obsessed, works like a charm!)
- rahua Defining Hair Spray (medium hold)
- Innersense Harmonic Healing Oil
- Prim Botanicals The Hair Oil
- Crunchi Foundation (I use Natural 2.5 and buy mine through http://crunchi.com/madisonlavey)
- 100% Pure super fruits healthy foundation
- Inika Pressed Foundation Powder (patience)
- 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Foundation Powder (peach bisque)
- Well People fair golden concealer
- Lily Lolo Pressed Blush (I like In the Pink & Tickled Pink)
- 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Blush (Mimosa)
- FitGlow Beauty Illuminating Mineral Blush (beach Glow)
- Lily Lolo Pressed Bronzer (miami Beach)
- Well People Expressionist Mascara (this is my personal favorite)
- Lily Lolo Mascara
- au Naturale eye liner (night if you like black)
- Ecobrow for eyebrows (penelope)
- 100% Pure Pretty Naked II Eye Shadow Palette
- au Naturale Su/Stain Matte Lip Stain (on pointe)
- Aleavia Enzymatic Body Cleanse
- doTERRA Facial Cleaner
- Ursa Major Morning Mojo Bar Soap (my husband loves this one)
- Cocokind Skin Butter
- Buca Botanicals Camellia & Rose face serum
- Live Botanical AER Calendula + Pumpkin Clearing Face Oil
- doTERRA Immortelle Anti-Aging Blend
- Province Apothecary Full Brown Serum with Coffee & Argan
- Province Apothecary Invigorating + Balacing Toner with Rose & Geranium
- Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator Moisturizing Facial Mist
- Indie Lee CoQ10 Toner
- Maya Chia The Refresh Mint Resurfacing Moisture Mask
- Josh Rosebrook Cacao Antioxidant Mask
- 100% Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream
- Live Botanical NW Rainforest Lavendar + Conifers Body Cream
- Honest Hazel Eye Gels
- 100% Pure Eye Gels
- Buca Botanicals
- Think Baby SPF 30
- Ursa Major Hoppin’ Fresh Deodorant (this is my absolute favorite!)
- doTERRA On Guard Natural Whitening Toothpaste
- Dr Brite Whitening Mineral Toothpaste
- Davids Natural toothpaste
- Zoe Organics Belly Oil (used every single day while pregnant!)
- Ursa Major Shave Cream
- earth mama Organic Perineal Spray (post partum must have)
- milk + honey cream deodorant (coconut vanilla)
- Natracare Organic tampons
- Chocolate Sun Dark or Medium Tanning Cream Face & Body
- Avenoc Ointment (for hemorrhoids – because that happened to me at the end of pregnancy and after birth)
- Witch Hazel (post partum relief)
- doTERRA Correct X (for cuts and scrapes)
- Epsoak Epsom Salt (for baths)
I’ve been using doTERRA Essential Oils for the last 10+ years but I’ll write those up in another post! For the products I’ve listed above, you’re more than welcome to purchase those also at Doterra. You can save by joining as a wholesale member or wellness advocate. If you’d like to do so, you’re welcome to use my referral info: doTERRA ID: 171650
Please let me know if you have any questions! I’ve been on this journey for well over a decade now and understand how daunting (and expensive) it can be. Pick one area in your life that may have the largest toxic load and start there! Again, baby steps! I’m always learning too and on the look out for awesome products to try!
Drop any of your own favorites down below, I would love to hear!!
With love in health,